Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thursday, November 8, 2012

Thursday, when we arrived at Willy Field, Mount Erebus had a particularly striking amount of steam coming out of it. This is what I always assumed that volcanoes looked like:

 Inside, we continued more or less as we have been doing the last couple of days. I was working on the bookkeeping of our master spreadsheet of detector information and also organizing a whole bunch of gain curves. Our Photomultiplier Tubes (PMTs) operate at high voltages. Essentially, these are small detectors that see light and output an electrical signal that tells us how much light they saw. If you increase the high voltage, you get a higher signal out of the tube. Since each tube is slightly different, way back in 2010 we did some tests to see how much the output changes with a change in voltage. This information is what I was organizing. Eventually, we will try to match all of our hodoscope (and other) tubes so that they all output roughly the same amount of signal when hit with the same amount of light.

Data analysis of our muon runs continued, as did the work on our insulation layer. At one point we took off the blue foam insulation from half the instrument so we could get some work done on it:

We also met another couple of BLAST scientists that have started working in our building. Things are a little cramped, but so far so good on that.  A few of us also went over to Scott Base for American Night again, but it wasn't too exciting. Next time I'll have to remember to bring my passport to get it stamped from an official NZ Antarctica stamp.

No comments:

Post a Comment