Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Sean and Thomas Arrive, and My Science Talk: January 8-9, 2013

Tuesday was another pretty typical day in McMurdo. After lunch, I went out to Hut Point to check for penguins, but ran into a couple of BLAST people that said there weren't any, so I went back and worked on my presentation for Wednesday. I then went to our Crary Lab office for a conference call with our collaborators back in the states. JohnE and I started our normal 7pm-2am shift, but were joined partway through by Thomas and Sean, who had just arrived from Christchurch. We spent the rest of the shift catching up, and had our regular shift-change call with Goddard. I got back to my room to find that Thomas was (temporarily) in my room as well.

Wednesday after lunch I ran through my Crary Lab Science Talk with Thomas and JohnE in our office, and we came up with a few changes and tweaks to improve it. I then went over to Building 155 and got a haircut, which basically ended up making my beard look even more ridiculous. I spent the rest of the afternoon making changes to my talk.

After dinner, it was time to head up to the Crary Library and get everything set up. There were maybe 20-25 people there by the time my talk started, and I think things went pretty well. There were a few trickier questions but nothing disastrous. Then, it was back to work for our regular shift.

Steve from BLAST has posted photos of trip to Castle Rock here: https://galadriel.astro.utoronto.ca/ballast/?p=6126

This is me on my way down the hill:


No comments:

Post a Comment